Thursday, February 7, 2013

Jailbreak Woes: Removing Siriport from iPhone


No sooner had I started to jailbreak iOS 6.1 did I encounter numerous problems. Well, it's mostly my fault. You see, in my zeal to squeeze the most out of my device, I end up trusting questionable sources. For a long time, I wanted to have Siri on my iPhone 4. In case you don't know why iPhone 4 doesn't have Siri, that's due to the fact that Apple's A4 chip doesn't have noise-cancellation. This was only implemented with the A5 chip, which was introduced in the iPhone 4s. That makes sense, as you need Siri to understand what you're saying amidst background noise.

So I went and searched for a way to get Siri onto my iPhone 4. There are workarounds, but I wanted the real deal, and hence settled for Siriport. What I didn't know was that Siriport was a pirated version of the official Siri (there's a lengthy article on the specifics behind Siriport's architecture and how it works, but that's beyond the scope of this post). I followed the instructions to get Siriport, resprung my phone, and I managed to get my phone into an infinite boot loop. This is where the apple never moves!

Of course, I panicked. But there is always a solution to get a phone out of the infinite boot loop. The problem was that there was no way to access the phone's file system while the phone is essentially a brick...or was there?

Enter iFunBox. This third party desktop software helps to install .ipa packages onto the iPhone, and it still can connect to a phone that's in an infinite boot loop. The only problem I faced was that when I connected the phone with a USB cable, iFunBox would sometimes either lose connection or not connect at all. If you are experiencing this, be patient; you are trying to fix a (temporarily) spoilt phone.

Removing Siriport and Breaking Out of Infinite Boot Loop

What you need: iFunBox and a USB cable.

Step 1: Connect the phone to your computer with the USB cable. Run iFunBox.

Step 2: Find the Raw File System folder, and go to the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons folder.

Step 3: Open the com.apple.SpringBoard.plist in Wordpad.

Step 4: Remove the following

EnvironmentVariables
        DYLD_SHARED_CACHE_DIR 
                 /var/siriport.ru/Cache4SDYLD_SHARED_CACHE_DONT_VALIDATE
1 DYLD_SHARED_REGION private


Remember to save!

Step 5: Go to the root folder (Raw File System), do a search for Siri, and delete the files and folders that are associated with Siri.ru. There should be 14 items of files and folders to delete.

Step 6: Disconnect your phone, and do a hard reset (hold the home and power button, release when the Apple logo comes up). Your phone should be back. If not, repeat the whole process again--I had to try this 3 times, and the hard reset took roughly 2 minutes.

Lesson learnt: Never trust dodgy sources!

Resources

8 comments:

Thank you Justin Chan,

You have saved my phone, and hours of my life!

I was able to boot into safe mode after removing these plist entries, and remove SiriPort from Cydia.


Also, in my travels, I found out that you can force safe mode via SSH by the command:

touch /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.saurik.mobilesubstrate.dat



Hopefully that saves you some day.

DEAL.

I LOUVE YOU SO BAD!!!!

Thank you! This really worked

You're most welcome! And thanks for the good tip too! SSH is an unexplored area for me...

NICE NICE NICE,thx from Germany bro

You have posted an incredible site.

Feel free to surf to my web site - driving instructors adelaide ()

this crashed my iphone worst than it was and i had to force it into DFU mode and restore it from a backup which made me lose a small ammount of data, i probably made a human error but thanks for at least posting this

I got it thanks man.
for the people struggling with the 'com.apple.SpringBoard.plist'
download this program called 'plist Editor for Windows 1.0.2'
the link to it is
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/plist-Editor-for-Windows-Download-121084.html

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More