Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tone Revision 3 (aka The Never-ending Story Part 20-Something)

There's a very high turn-over rate of pedals on my pedalboard. I've downsized from this:


Mounted on a Pedaltrain Pro, mid 2011

To this:

Mounted on a Pedaltrain 3, late 2011
I got rid of the Biyang pedals, not that they sounded bad, but I just didn't need two choruses and two delays (my Deluxe Electric Mistress can achieve tones from a mild chorus to a faux Leslie). The Biyang Chorus also added a lot of background noise even when disengaged, which I'm told is normal for certain mod pedals. The stacked delay sound was nice, but nobody could tell the difference when I used it.

I got rid of the equalizer because I realized I could make do with the EQ on my overdrive pedals, and there was some noise coming from it. (It appears that the pricier your pedal, the less likely it will have noise in the chain. Something I should have known a long time ago.) I sold off the GR-20 'cause I realized I should concentrate on being a better guitarist than trying to sound like every other instrument.

And now, my pedalboard looks like this:
This installment saw
  • Replacements: I changed from a Korg DT-10 to a Pitchblack for its smaller size, and changed the AC Booster to a BB Preamp, which I much preferred.
  • Arrangement: All my drive pedals are on the lowest tier, to help in visualizing the signal flow.
  • Additions: A SansAmp GT2 for amp simulation when I don't have an amp, and a Visual Sound H20 for an extra layer of chorus and delay. 
Yes, I'm back to two choruses and delays. But I got the H20 because I originally wanted to use it just for my Taiwan gig and needed those sounds in a relatively small, combined enclosure. I then found a way of hooking it up and squeezing the pedalboard arrangement so that I now have no more space for any new pedals. In all honesty, the pedalboard turn-over stopped when I finally ran out of pedalboard real estate.

How do you stop your pedalboard turnover? And in a related question, when does your GAS stop?

For further viewing (my Quick Question on GAS):

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More