Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sarnies


I was able to meet Christine for lunch near her work place, and I soon discovered that the CDB is riddled with little cafes, eateries and restaurants that command higher prices than elsewhere. On first glance, it can appear absurd to pay $15 for a sandwich (that's nearly two Subway meals put together!), but don't let that dissuade you from trying Sarnies, an Australian sandwich bar.


When I was a student in Australia, the canteens and cafes around campus had a few unique characteristics: they served sandwiches/croissants/salads for people on the go, there was Indie music played over the stereo system, some part of the cafe decor was dedicated to some form of art, and the coffee was good. Stepping into Sarnies brought back all those memories.

Christine and I decided to share a roasted beef sandwich and a salad, and they didn't disappoint!


Generous helpings of rocket and guacamole were the highlight of the salad, but we couldn't figure out where the bacon bits were. You can do what I did with the rye bread: use the guacamole as a spread and consume it like you would a starter bread. However, be warned that it's messy and potentially unglam.


I wish I had placed my hand in the shot to give some perspective of the size--it was a huge sandwich! Even with the toothpick to hold the sandwich together, there was enough filling of beef, lettuce and mushrooms to spill out despite my best efforts to keep it from disassembling. I had to remove the greens (and thus making it one level thinner) to comfortably hold the sanwich.


Last and certainly not least, I ordered a cappuccino. Do not add sugar! The chocolate powder used on the foam sufficiently sweetens each sip. The coffee was of the right acidity and had enough body to have some "kick", obviously to cater to the office workers needing a caffeine boost for the rest of the day.

All-in-all, it was a good experience and an enjoyable time, particularly for me because of the nostalgia. Try it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More